Monday 24 August 2015

Anniversary Day : 70% complete


Firstly my up-most apologies for leaving such a massive time between my last post and this one, I had been meaning to do a big update for weeks but with work going so well (and subsequently me working more and thus being tired a hell of a lot of the time!) its basically slipped past me or I have lacked the required energy to do anything. So with my minor “The Sun style” apology out of the way* lets get on with the update.

I am gonna attempt to keep this in a somewhat chronological order as that seems to make sense to me. Basically when I last left my avid readers I had just returned to work (yay!) but in a thoroughly George RR Martin way I left you hanging by a thread as to what actually went down from there onwards.

I've basically gone from around 8-12 hours a week and no responsibility to slowly working my way back to my old role of being a shift manager and only being about 5-6 hours off a normal full time week for someone in my position. I was very much like a lost little lamb for the first few weeks and then thanks to the familiarity of my job (its now 7+ years for me) and my workmates/customers I came back out of my shell and rediscovered some much needed confidence and more importantly a large part of the person I thought had died that fateful day of my rupture.

Above is my wall planner, the green dots are work days, as you can see they have increased a lot!

I know that may sound a bit OTT to someone who has not experienced a brain injury, its hard to explain how disconnected you feel with your own thoughts and body post injury. Its like waking up one day and discovering that everything you ever knew or did has been experienced by a totally different person. You remember large parts of that person and those experiences and yet it still doesn't feel like you. Its a thoroughly confusing thing to even understand yourself, let alone explain to someone else. But I digress, thanks to work I have begun to rediscover a lot of myself again which is fantastic. There's still some way to go, and there's still a lot of daily problems (which I will detail later) but overall I cannot be more pleased with myself, and for a perennial self hater such as myself its a bit bizarre to feel pleased and proud of myself but I am.

Another fantastic thing happened for me at work, a few months back (and I did intend to blog about it straight away) my speech therapist from Rehab came in for a social-able beverage with his friend. It was the most amazing feeling for me throughout this whole experience to have someone who helped me back to where I am now come into my workplace and get served by me. He even allowed me a big hug! Even thinking about it now still makes me smile. I got on with a lot of the medical professionals in the Kings Lodge Rehab unit at The Royal Hospital Derby but my speech therapist was the one person I could truly say I bonded with, we have a similar sense of humour and equally impeccable music taste so you could say on my part it was a bit of a bro-mance. But it really hammered home to me that day just how far I have come in such a short time. Even up to the point of surgery I really doubted whether I would be able to go back to work at all, let alone work back up to my old role, and now I am doing both of those things I still cannot quite believe it.

Above is a after and before photo, just to prove that i am getting more beautiful, what a difference a year makes!

My job is a Shift Manager in a fairly busy pub working for a large pub chain (which shall remain nameless) and requires a lot of skills to do well. Its no rocket science mind, but it requires excellent time management, multi-tasking, interpersonal skills and physical strength and endurance. You're basically on your feet all day, dealing with both customers and staff. You manage money, time, products and yourself. And its full of noise, light and people. It is essentially the worst environment for a healing brain to be in, due to the masses of information constantly being bombarded at you all the time and the physical exhaustion the job brings. But I am still managing to do it well again, so once more I'm forced to be proud of myself.

That's not to say it does not have its pitfalls to it. I am left after most shifts in a lot of pain, both physical and mental exhaustion as well. Its difficult to get this point across to people because at work my quality of work has remained high, but for me everyday and shift at work is a big challenge. The main problem is my lack of energy, do not get me wrong compared to a year ago my energy has increased massively but its still nowhere near what I would describe as normal. I think when I say to people that I am tired they just think “hey I've been to work and I am tired too” which is fair enough, but life with a brain injury means most days if you are lucky you start at about 66% energy and that rapidly depletes pretty quickly.

Why? Because of what happened to me, my brain has to try that much harder to do just the simple things. I have noticed that as I get more tired at work, my left side (The side my bleed really shat on) gets really very weak and I feel as if I am going to fall over a lot, which for a 29 year old man is a sad thing to think whilst sober. I also from that have to think a lot about walking, I know that sounds insane but as my energy drops I seriously have to think through walking, its a skill I have learnt since I was a wee nipper (rumours I was born with a beard are untrue!) and yet here I find myself as a grown man having to actively think about walking so I do not fall over. It feels ridiculous to type as a sentence but its true. I also get a lot more headaches from work, which I am assuming is just me over-doing it. So I'm sensible about it now, if I feel faint or especially painful I go take a breather and then try to go about things a little slower if possible, however due to the nature of my profession its somewhat difficult sometimes. I am however determined to not give up, I love my job most of the time, I am a type of person that thrives on personal contact with people and it turns out I'm so good at my job in the first place that even after having a large bleed in the brain and subsequently brain surgery I can still do my job pretty well. Thats nice.

So a lot of my time now requires extensive energy management, I'm as bad as a iPhone for rapid battery level dropping, but it's something I am very much getting used to. That said everything in my life is pretty good at the moment something I never thought I would achieve again, I have a good social life again, I'm pretty much back at work full time, I'm losing some much needed weight, regaining self confidence, and beginning to trust my brain again. I'm still in a rich vein of musical creativity too and I fully intend to finish an album of music before the year is through. So everything is really good.

As I type this now, today is in fact my “Anni-versary” something that brain aneurysm survivors tend to use as a phrase to celebrate the fateful day it all changed. My rupture took place pretty much a year to the day today, in that time I've been through so much (most of it detailed in this blog) and whilst I would wish I could have learnt a lot of these lessons in a different less painful manner, still I am pleased I can say I have taken something good from this whole experience. Its insane when I try to think about it all because its all both a mixture of yesterday and a lifetime ago, but I remind myself its been just a year.

And what a year its been, I'm going to have to work hard to top it! In a year I have re-learnt how to talk properly, re-learnt a lot of my cognitive functions, gone from having to actually write what day it is to know what day it is, having brain surgery, relearning how to play guitar and watched Man Utd go from a bit rubbish to a bit less rubbish (can't have it all!) so overall i'm pretty pleased.

My blog title refers to “70% complete” which is a nod to rehab (where my journey really began) and in rehab one of the (I'm assuming) psychological techniques they use to measure you is to ask on a scale of 0-100 where you feel you are in your rehabilitation. 0 being not fixed at all, 100 being back to normal. I always hovered around the 50% or so line as though I rapidly improved in rehab I still felt very broken then, mainly because A) I knew so little about my condition and B) Did not know how they would “Fix me”. I'm pleased to say I now feel around about 70% complete, which is an improvement from before. I think the remaining 30% will come when I get the all-clear of being AVM free and when my energy levels start to get back to normal.

I really did not know how I would feel today, I was not expecting some kind of revelation nor total sadness, perhaps a mixture of both. Mostly it just feels like a normal day with a bit of extra celebration thrown in too, and that's just fine with me. Here's to many more normal days to come! One good thing about hitting the 1 year mark is that my re-bleed chances start to drop down to the base rate (3-4% ish a year I think) whilst its no exact science it is reassuring to now that I can be a little less scared now.

Finally I would like to thank from the bottom of my heart ALL the people who managed to get me to this point today, its been an incredibly tough journey, the hardest one of my life but I do know I would not have been able to get here now without everyone's help, support and love. So thank you, I would like to think you all know who you are, but if you think “Did I help?” chances are you did so thank you!

That's about all for me for now. Now turn this bad boy up!


*A sun style apology is generally printed in exceptionally small font on the the bottom of the page


No comments:

Post a Comment